Author Nina Croft dishes on the hottest space pirate, vamp in her new series, Blood Hunter.
My Blood Hunter series is a combination of science fiction and paranormal romance and takes place in a future where man has fled to the stars. The books follow the adventures, romantic and otherwise, of the crew of the space ship El Cazador de la Sangre (or The Blood Hunter). Book One, Break Out, is the story of the owner and pilot of El Cazador, Ricardo Sanchez, space pirate and…vampire.
Rico was just about my favorite character to write. He turned up almost fully formed, and took over the writing from the word go. So here are five things you should know about Rico:
- Rico is Spanish. He was actually born in southern Spain in the Middle Ages, which makes his current age: one-thousand, five-hundred and ninety-six years. Spanish as a language has died out long ago, but Rico still lapses into it in moments of stress.
- He married when he was 17 and was faithful to his wife for the next twenty years—a fact which many people who know him now find hard to believe. He became a widower at the age of 37 when his wife was burned at the stake for being a witch. He became a vampire soon after, as a means of getting his revenge.
- Rico knows that the most dangerous thing for any immortal is boredom. He’d rather be dead than bored. But the way he sees it is there’s no reason to get bored when there’s a whole universe out there waiting to be explored. Also, when he starts getting bored he just changes his life and consequently, he’s done masses of jobs in the time since he became a vampire—gambler, journalist, pirate, detective… Rico has learned how to enjoy his immortality.
- Rico’s best friend (actually his only friend at the start of the book—he doesn’t believe in getting too attached to humans as they are fragile and likely to die on him) is Tannis, the captain of El Cazador. Tannis is a GM or genetically modified, and she’s part snake and all bitch. Tannis saved Rico from prison and certain death a few years back and they’ve been friends ever since.
- Back on Earth, Rico was a huge Star Wars fan. He wanted to be Han Solo—so he’s loving his life right now.
About Break Out
The year is 3048, Earth is no longer habitable, and man has fled to the stars where they’ve discovered the secret of immortality—Meridian. Unfortunately, the radioactive mineral is exorbitantly expensive and only available to a select few. A new class comprised of the super rich and immortal soon evolves. The Collective, as they’re called, rule the universe.
Two-thousand-year-old Ricardo Sanchez, vampire and rogue pilot of the space cruiser, El Cazador, can’t resist two things: gorgeous women and impossible jobs. When beautiful Skylar Rossaria approaches him to break a prisoner out of the Collective’s maximum security prison on Trakis One, Rico jumps at the chance. Being hunted by the Collective has never been so dangerous–or so fun!
Find Break Out
About Nina Croft
Nina Croft grew up in the north of England. After training as an accountant, she spent four years working as a volunteer in Zambia, which left her with a love of the sun and a dislike of 9-5 work. She then spent a number of years mixing travel (whenever possible) with work (whenever necessary) but has now settled down to a life of writing and picking almonds on a remote farm in the mountains of southern Spain.
Nina writes all types of romance often mixed with elements of the paranormal and science fiction.
Find Nina Croft
Win an ecopy of Break Outby entering with the Rafflecopter widget at this link.