James Calbraith put together an extensive playlist for this novel, The Shadow of the Black Wings. You can also listen to it on Spotify.
1. Overture: The Empire and the Mechanician (And I Will Kiss, Underworld) 17:15
2. Bran’s Aerobatics Exam (Test Drive, John Powell) 2:36
3. Men of Llambed, The Academy’s Anthem (Men of Harlech)2:54
4. The Bard in the Tavern (Three Welsh Airs, Susan Scott) 4:59
5. They’re playing Farmer’s Fancy! (Ffansi Ffarmwr, Dy Werin) 3:30
6. Dylan ab Ifor’s Theme: The Royal Marine (Soldier’an Sailor Too, Massed Bands of HM Royal Marines) 3:04
7. A Gwynedd Summer (Helfa’r Marchogion, Crasdant) 4:20
8. The Memory of Temasek: Ifor’s Diary (Singapore, Hans Zimmer) 3:41
9. The Ocean’s Call (Theme de David, Vladimir Cosma) 2:25
10. The Ironclads and Factory Smoke (Industrial Revolution, Jean Michel-Jarre) 4:39
11. Soldiers and Sailors Too: Brigstow Harbour (Smith of Bristol, The Dubliners) 2:30
12. Farewell to Langyfelach: Song of the departing dragoons (Ffarwel i Langyfelach Lon, Meredydd Evans) 2:02
13. The Greatest Ship Ever Built (A Life on the Ocean Wave, The Band of HM Royal Marines) 1:05
14. Tinubu’s Tricks; Egungun Dancer (Nigeria Tribal Rhythms and Percussion, Djembe and Dungu Folk) 3:42
15. Bran’s Birthday Jig (Two Hornpipes – Tortuga, Hans Zimmer) 1:14
16. Fragrant Harbour (Fragrant Harbour, The Band of Royal Hong Kong Police) 2:20
17. Fan Yu, the Great Harbour! (Fishermen on the East China Sea, Zhu Xiaomeng) 5:08
18. The Songs of the Boat People (Fishing Junks at Sunset, Jean-Michel Jarre) 6:02
19. Battle in the Sky: What Are Your Orders, Arian? (Wheel of Fortune, Hans Zimmer) 6:46
20. Act II: Another Land (Entrance Music for Traditional Rakugo Entertainer) 0:53
21. Nansei Summer; Accursed Weather (Asadoya Yunta of Okinawa, Group from Okinawa) 2:07
22. Overwizard-dono! “The Advantages of Floating in the Middle of the Sea” (from Pacific Overtures) 5:51
23. Sato’s Theme: the Samurai’s Daughter (Shinsengumi Main Theme, Kyoto Piano Ensemble) 3:42
24. Suwa Shrine; Lady Kazuko (Heron’s Dance, Male Shinto Choir) 1:57
25. Nagomi’s Trance (Shrine Maiden’s Dance, Shinto Instrument Ensemble) 3:15
26. Ei!Ei!Ie – Toh! (Kendo Drumming) 0:21
27. The Bathhouse (The song of Bathing in the Hot Spring, Group from Iwai) 3:29
28. Snow in Kiyo (Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, Ryuichi Sakamoto) 4:45
29. It fell from Heavens! (Blade Runner End Titles, Vangelis) 4:39
30. Night Escapade; Streets of Kiyo (Yojimbo Title, Masaru Satoh) 3:01
31. The Dark Clouds Gather: The boy is a castaway (Seven Samurai Theme, Fumio Hayasaka) 1:24
32. Shuhan’s Lullaby (Edo Komoriuta, Takashi Yujiro) 1:13
33. Master Tanaka’s Machines (Gohatto, Ryuichi Sakamoto) 2:02
34. The Best Castella in the City (Bastiana, Coral Dinamene) 1:37
35. The Crimson Robe Theme: Demon (Demon God II, Joe Hisaishi) 0:57
36. Dark Energies; Take me to Suwa! (Battles, Clannad) 1:01
37. Epilogue – the Scent of Wisteria (Kagemusha, Shinichiro Ikebe) 4:04
BOOK 2: THE WARRIOR’S SOUL (Suo Gan, John Williams)
BOOK 3: THE ISLANDS IN THE MIST (Ar Lan Y Mor)
BOOK 4: THE RISING TIDE (Furusato)
About The Shadow of the Black Wings
It is the Sixteenth Year of Queen Victoria. In the powerful empire of Dracaland, Bran, a young dragon rider, joins his father on a military expedition to the mysterious lands of the Orient. In the reclusive Yamato, Sato, a tomboy samurai girl, strives to prove her right to inherit her father’s school of western magic. Nagomi, a timid shrine apprentice, is haunted by the visions of dark future she must keep secret even from her best friend.
They don’t know it yet, but their paths will cross… And when they do, nothing will ever be the same again.
Welcome to The Shadow of Black Wings, a steam-powered romp across the land of dragons, wizards and samurai. It’s big, it’s fast, it’s been compared to Tolkien in terms of world-building, it has strong female characters and lots of carefully researched detail. You will meet the Royal Marines sailing mighty ironclads and Chinese walking machines; mysterious warlords and crazy inventors; you will discover dark prophecies, family secrets and blood-thirsty demons. And all that in just the first volume!
Genre: Historical Fantasy, Alternate History
“Fast paced and full of energy” –Adrian Tchaikovsky, author of the Shadows of the Apt
“This manuscript is full of highly crafted detail that will make readers shiver at times with fear and delight … a familiar yet highly original fantasy that is a worthwhile read.” — Publishers Weekly
“The real-world cultures are incredibly well-researched and truthful, and yet well-balanced with the fantasy elements. An intriguing and impressive series.” — Ben Galley, author of the Emaneska Series
About the Author
James Calbraith is a 34 year old Poland-born writer, foodie, and traveler, currently residing in South London.
Growing up in communist Poland on a diet of powdered milk, Lord of the Rings and soviet science-fiction, he had his first story published at the ripe age of eight. After years of bouncing around university faculties, he moved to London in 2007, found a decent IT job and started writing in English. His debut historical fantasy novel, “”The Shadow of Black Wings””, has reached ABNA semi-finals. It was published in July 2012 and hit the Historical Fantasy and Alternate History bestseller lists on Amazon US & UK.
Win an e-copy or paperback copy of The Shadow of the Black Wings by using this Rafflecopter. The giveaway ends on April 3, 2013.